The thread about Deleting All Posts

Anyone know how to mass delete posts on Discourse? Want to deactivate my account somewhere as I think I’ve run my course, but have no interest in leaving my posts active as I believe a community that is not appreciating doesn’t deserve to benefit from the contributions I’ve made.

Really depends on the forum settings.

Defaults only allow it if you have less than a certain number of posts

This is our settings for example

what community are you leaving?

Has to be Monzo… right? :eyes:

Got to be…….

Or maybe that other place……? :thinking:

To be honest, I don’t really know… was finishing deleting my posts on Monzo… :joy:

How did you resolve the situation on the Monzo forum. Didn’t you have a similar issue there or was that someone else?

I sent a GDPR deletion request to their DPO

Based on this alone

‘Personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.

I’d say that GDPR doesn’t cover you unless what you’ve posted can personally identify you which is also why anonymizing your profile cover would cover the forum owners.

If you where using your real name GDPR would cover it

Not something I’ve looked into recently, but does the EU right to be forgotten still apply for us in the U.K.?

I got so much of my stuff removed from Google and Twitter over the years thanks to that.

There’s certainly scope under that to have your stuff permanently deleted, rather than anonymised.

For the moment the law that implement the gdpr in the UK still applies. So the answer would be yes.

Probably not much longer though, as BoJo has made it clear he wants significant changes

2 Likes

Of course he has. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Taking the GDPR route is surely using a hammer to crack a nut. A small organisation where the data administrator is clearly visible and accessible?

A simple request will most likely get the job done perfectly well for you.

100% agree, especially if it’s a courteous and polite request

If we’re still discussing Monzo every single piece of evidence has been to the contrary unfortunately.

I’m taking from @Recchan’s earlier response that he’s previously successfully separated from Monzo.

Out of curiosity if he was talking about your forum, do you allow people to fully erase themselves on request or would you only anonymize in order to keep the intergrity of the posts?

I don’t believe it’s self-service, but I understand the process is granular starting with anonymity, progressing to account deletion.

Ahhh, ok, I didn’t catch that.

So if in fact @Recchan was talking about FTF would he be able to have all his posts removed as well as his account or do you only allowed anonymization and account deletion?