Ziglu? :eyes:

Deleted app so can’t tell you

Metrobank
Curve
Freetrade
Dozens

also work

1 Like

It’s shit. They spam the notifications with marketing which is against Apple’s terms. Their logo was designed by a two-year old (no offence intended to toddlers) App Deleted.

Reminds me of Atom, designed by kids (v1 anyway)

Should report it to Apple… :joy:

2 Likes

added Marcus App as downloaded, logged in and tested

2 Likes

Updated to reflect the latest situation with HSBC.

HSBC is now working after this morning’s app update, but other brands in the group are not yet fixed.

2 Likes

First Direct is now also working.

2 Likes

I think M&S Bank is now working after an update released on Wednesday.

I can’t be certain as I don’t have any accounts with them, but downloading the app and attempting to open it no longer causes an immediate crash on launch, so I’m assuming it’s fixed unless I hear otherwise.

1 Like

But not for much longer, it transpires, at least as a current account. I’m not sure what use they’ll be now, unless you’ve got a loan with them and even then…?

M&S will still be doing credit cards, loans, insurance and savings products as well as travel money

1 Like

The trouble is that just as Monzo’s USP, and perhaps only SP ever, was ‘we’re the bank that lives on your phone’, M&S bank’s whole ‘thing’ was meant to be ‘do your shopping and do your banking while you’re here with us who you already know and trust’, really M&S bank is just a sticker over the name of another bank now that they’ve closed all the in-store branches and the oldies get very funny about things like that so I could see it just being a shell of its former self that ends up getting dropped for ‘M&S bank by HSBC’ then just HSBC soon enough. Unless they’re offering exceptionally good deals there’s no real reason to use them now, and the army of curmudgeonly old folks who are M&S shareholders and berate the CEO at the AGM whenever something upsets them will I suspect have very little loyalty to something that is just pretending to be M&S so I can’t really see it having much chance of a future, unless as I said they do something market leading to draw people to it.

2 Likes

I don’t necessarily disagree with you and we have seen how all the supermarkets have gradually withdrawn from offering financial services etc. and M&S have bigger issues than most.

It looks like M&S Bank are basically going back to what they did before launching current accounts

The relationship can be odd at times, for instance, I found out some months ago HSBC sells pet insurance (who knew!) but their website actually redirects to M&S Bank

1 Like

Yes, that’s basically it.

They only opened the in-store branches when they launched current accounts, and they’ve obviously now decided that there is no money in either branches or current accounts, so they have scrapped them. It doesn’t make sense for a relatively small proportion of your business to be a massive source of costs. The initial plan to have a big push into acquiring customers hasn’t worked, as the only customers they have acquired have either been core M&S style elderly people (who are expensive to serve; since they require branches) and the MSE brigade (who went after switch bonuses and then took advantage of the regular saver).

Their much more popular product has always been their credit card, which does appeal to M&S shoppers as there are various reward schemes available for it. They will be continuing to offer that, as their main product basically, and a little light lending through their loans business plus capital raising through savings covers the rest.

I expect them to trundle along much as before, maybe even being a moderate success, but their ambitions of being a significant player in the market are clearly now over.

They will continue to have Bureaux de Change desks in store, which they sell travel money from, so that’s another avenue to profit.

1 Like

I’m not sure whether it’s been caused by iOS 15 Developer Beta 7 (released yesterday) or an app update for the HSBC app (also released yesterday) but I’ve just tried to open the HSBC app today and it’s not working again?

It could just be my phone, but it seems something is broken again (either intentionally or by accident).

The First Direct app, less recently updated, still seems to work fine on beta 7.

1 Like

Confirmation now from the Monzo Community that an app update from earlier this week is what breaks support for HSBC.

Temporarily turn off auto-updates to maintain app support on beta 7.

1 Like

I’m quite surprises apps are breaking this late in the game. I’m expecting to the see the GM for iOS 15 in the next 3-4 weeks

1 Like

Maybe even sooner! We usually have iOS and iPadOS GMs in the second week of September. Last year was a weird one when it dropped the day before the actual public release though.

1 Like